Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 4th March 2018, 14:14   #3984  |  Link
TomArrow

Nondescript error message in AviSynth+ 32 bit

Hello guys, new here.

I've been using AviSynth 32bit, now upgraded to AviSynth+ with that "use my old plugins" option.

Now my problem is, any time an error occurs, it seems I only get "Avisynth open failure: System exception - Access Violation". (Opening with VirtualDub or VirtualDub FilterMod)

64 Bit seems to output proper messages, for example when using with ffmpeg, but I am dependent on many 32 bit plugins from the old AviSynth.

Somewhere I read that the older release r1858-pfmod might work. I tried it (by replacing the dlls) and indeed now I got reasonable error messages like "function does not exist". I was even able to use loadPlugin to load ffms2 and load a clip with FFmpegsource2. The sad thing is, that version does not yet support deep color apparently, as it says it can't find the function ConvertBits.

Deep color is important to me and is the main reason I upgraded.

I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. I also tried running VirtualDub Filtermod as an administrator, no difference.

Interestingly, the error message does show the correct line in the script. When I move the loadPlugin for ffms2.dll down 2 lines, the error is shown as line 3 instead of 1.

But no matter what error it is, it's always just that System Exception. I can write "blahblurp" in there and still get a System Exception. This is not very helpful for debugging or finding errors.

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit pc with an i7-3930k, 32GB RAM and a GTX 1070 on a Sabertooth X79, if it's any use.

Hope this can be resolved, as I have already tested the deep color functionality with the internal AVISource and it was pretty good! I hope to now be able to also use all my old plugins and get proper error messages.

Edit: I was able to avoid the error message altogether by calling ClearAutoloadDirs() in the beginning. Probably because I was using LoadPlugin anyway? Still, would be nice to resolve it.

Last edited by TomArrow; 4th March 2018 at 14:38.