View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:57   #1  |  Link
kit90

DVD/Blu-ray Like Menus and Multiple Titles in MKV/MP4

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I would like to know if we could have a menu screen inside an MKV/MP4 file as we see on DVDs and Blu-rays where we can choose the audio/subtitle tracks and chapters using buttons. Also, would it also be possible to include multiple titles in a single file? It is true that all of these can be done from the software player's GUI, but a custom-designed menu would be great. I checked several options, but none seemed to work for me.
  1. For MP4 files, I checked MP4Menu and MP4MenuGUI, but these apps crashed when I input my files.
  2. For MKV files, I used DVDMenuxtractor with a DVD. It finished execution, but when I used MKVMerge to process the intermediate files, it failed to generate output. I later used ChapterEditor. In this case, when I opened the first file, I could access the other files' chapters through the software player's GUI. But it also didn't give me a menu screen with buttons to choose chapters, audio or subtitles. Also all input files should have the same number and types of audio and subtitle tracks for it to work.
  3. I finally found out about a format called PGMX, which is a proprietary variant of MKV. It supports DVD-like menus and multiple titles inside a single file, but can be played only on TMPGEnc PGMX Player. Also it supports only AVC for video, AAC for audio and SRT and S_IMAGE/PGMX for subtitles.

Since PGMX implements DVD-like menus and multiple titles, wouldn't it be possible for MKV and MP4 too? In the Matroska website, a draft menu specification is given. Also MKVToolnix seems to support DVD VOBButtons, according to its source code. Would it be possible to support the more feature-rich Blu-ray HDMV IGS buttons too, inside an MKV?
kit90 is offline   Reply With Quote