View Single Post
Old 17th October 2018, 20:59   #53345  |  Link
Alexkral

Hi Madshi,

I'm sorry to be late for your request of feedback about NNEDI3, like many others I don't update madVR very often (I'm still using 0.92.2 now), neither read this thread, but I think there was a good reason to keep it. Maybe nobody else noticed, but it is/was the only doubling algorithm capable of independent width or height doubling. I encode my BD3Ds to 1920 x 2160 OU for viewing on my FPR UHD TV. This way there is no need to upscale the height, the TV just take the available lines and reorder them in a line alternative scheme. When I play these videos in fullscreen with madVR using NNEDI3 for doubling, I can see in the OSD that after chroma upscaling, luma x (or the whole image x depending on settings for chroma doubling) is upscaled with NNEDI and image y is left untouched. But if I choose super-xbr or NGU for doubling, I can see that after chroma upscaling, both image x and image y are upscaled and then image y is downscaled with the algorithm chosed.
I understand that you had reasons to remove NNEDI3 so I'm not going to ask for it back, but maybe this feature could be added to NGU. Anyway I suspect that image y doubling to 4320 and then downscaling back to 2160 should not mean a significant quality loss, but given that it is not necessary in this situation, maybe I should just forget about doubling and use one of the other upscaling algorithms.

Also, I don't understand if the new option "tone map HDR using external 3DLUT" is just for processing HDR, or for both processing HDR and converting HDR to SDR.

Last edited by Alexkral; 18th October 2018 at 05:54.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote