View Single Post
Old 12th June 2019, 22:11   #94  |  Link
jones1913
random user

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I cannot recommend Linux using a 4K/UHD screen because Chrome and Firefox hardware acceleration is not working and very High DPI is broken in all distros except Ubuntu
Yeah HiDPI support might not enabled out of the box for most distros. In Cinnamon its just one setting to enable and almost everything is scaled well.
Exception are some applications based on older gui-toolkits such as GTK2 or QT4. These toolkits have no scaling support integrated because of their age.

Quote:
it's clear to see why Linux is not successful on the desktop
I wouldn't say that this is THE reason. I think most people are a bit scared when they start a desktop Linux for the first time, because many things are very different compared to windows.
It is quite a bit of work getting used to the Linux workflow and theres much to learn, and not everyone is willing to learn so many new things (or have the time to do so).
Personally I was so annoyed by windows that I just wanted to leave this stuff behind me and switched over to Linux, regardless of its imperfection on desktop.
But I have used Linux already a few years on a low end pc, so I had some experience already.