View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:47   #26509  |  Link
Sharc

@mparade
Quote:
...I just would like to know a bit about what is happening behind the very fast (it takes half an hour for a 70 minutes video) converting to x264 during import. The color space is converted to 4:2:0 YV12 I assume. The resulting structure is ~8GB so some kind of lossy encode is performed.....
When your source format is accepted by TSMUXER the pseudo-BD structure will be built without re-encoding the video, means you get an exact copy.
When your source format is not accepted by TSMUXER (e.g. DivX) BD-RB will re-encode the video with CRF=18 (default) which is of course not lossless.
Finally, there are few input formats which BD-RB will not recognize and throw an error.
See also the discussion here and around here for more details.
Since v0.50.22 BD-RB accepts huffyuv etc. as well as it has been included in that list, but your source will be re-encoded and converted to AVC 4:2:0 with CRF=18 (default) unless you tweak it.

Edit:
In case you convert to 720x576i 4:3 you may watch out for the little --sar bug reported here. I trust it will get fixed in the next release....

Last edited by Sharc; 2nd October 2017 at 09:06.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote