View Single Post
Old 19th October 2018, 16:07   #1508  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, not sure why you got the false free-space warning. What version of Windows do you use ?

For the crash of the encoder, I'm not sure too, but it might be fixed in the version I will release soon.

The final file size is strange indeed, especially if you have encoded a noisy movie. Normally, with CRF 21, I expect a file size around 6 GB, or more if the movie is particularly noisy. Your movie is very short, but it's strange anyway. Are you sure the encoding is really finished and you can play the final credits up to the end ?

I have read somewhere that lowering the CRF by 3 has the effect of approximately doubling the bitrate of the video track. But take in mind that the final file size depends also of other factors, like the preset. A slower preset compresses better and/or has less artifacts.

Preserving the grain is always a delicate operation, as it's the first thing that the encoder removes (or simplifies at best), so you need either a very low CRF, or perhaps you should try the "grain" tune. (I don't use it myself, so I don't know if it is efficient.)

If you want to obtain precisely a final bitrate or file size, just change the Mode to 2-pass, and select either the target video bitrate of the final size of the MKV file (including the audio tracks and other overheads). However, you should know that, in addition to be much slower, 2-pass encoding gives ALWAYS a slightly less good quality than CRF for the same bitrate, due to the additional constraint. ABR (aka 1-pass) is really bad, but if the second pass can distribute almost correctly the bitrate, it cannot be perfect. It's why I prefer to always encode in CRF, without any constraint. and I reserves 2-pass to when the final file size is really important, like when I want to copy the movie on a DVD.

And I have to disagree with you. CRF is MUCH MORE intuitive than 2-pass. Because it computes exactly the best result given the movie you are encoding. You will therefore obtain a very low final bitrate for a movie easy to compress (such as an animated movie in computer graphics without any noise), and a bigger file size for a difficult, noisy action movie. Giving the same bitrate to that two opposed kind of movies is simply a nonsense, and it is very difficult for a human being to know what bitrate is really suitable for a specific movie. The CRF mode computes it automatically for you, and usually, it does it well. Now, in your precise case, I can understand that you don't trust it. :-(

Last edited by r0lZ; 19th October 2018 at 16:12.