View Single Post
Old 31st July 2017, 08:24   #319  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
1) I do not have 3D profiles configured, 3D is actually disabled in my settings.bin. I do have a 3D display but I have not used 3D in a few years and I have not tested it at all. Sorry. I might test it again if people are interested but I thought it wasn't harder to display than 1080p60?

2) DXVA2 copyback offers the same quality video as software decoding but software can sometimes handle oddities better and/or is more responsive. Personally I use DXVA2 copyback only for UHD. Playing UHD HEVC or AVC takes too much cpu power and Pascal GPU's hardware decoding is very capable.

3) Note my answer to 1; sorry but I don't have any recent experiance with 3D playback with madVR. Hopefully someone else will offer some advice.

You actually do not need FSE for 10-bit anymore if you enable Windows' HDR mode. That said 10-bit is not important due to madVR's high quality dithering. Have you done any tests of 10-bit v.s. 8-bit output? I have never seen any differences with dithering enabled (it should never be disabled) on any 10-bit displays I have tested it on. 10-bit or higher is very beneficial for compression and processing but not for the final display, assuming good dithering is done. If you don't have to sacrifice anything for it 10-bit is good but once you start making any sacrifices you would probably be better off using 8-bit instead.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Don't worry about 3D settings, I'll sort it out when I'm back. I don't know how it compares to 1080p60, as I almost always use 1080p23, but I do know that I had to create a specific profile to get it to work on my HD7870, as my 1080p23 settings were too taxing.

Re 10bits, I did some testing and the difference is minimal. It's more for a "peace of mind" than a true PQ aspect. I don't want to use the OS HDR setting as it means I would be in HDR all the time, which I don't want. I want to use the nVidia dynamic switching mode as soon as the driver is fixed.

I need to try FSE with the 1080 Ti, I didn't use it (except when testing HDR) with the HD7870 as my JVC needed 15sec or more to sync, especially when using OSD, so I found the improvement in PQ wasn't worth the downside. However, my HD7870 had no frame drop for 2 hours+, while the 1080 Ti has frame drops every 3-5mn (with rendering times way below 30ms in 23p), so I might have to use FSE anyway.

I'll update here when I'm back and have had some time to play with the 1080 Ti more. I only had a couple of hours to test it before going on holiday.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote