View Single Post
Old 4th March 2021, 11:59   #61318  |  Link
haggis999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
.....The thing is that low-midrange cards tend to have low to midrange coolers. I recently could get a 3070 FE and it's silent when running madVR and 4k HDR content because the card is overkill for video, thus its higher TDP cooler doesn't even break a sweat. In fact the fans don't even turn on when playing video at all.

But of course that's a way overkill way to go silent if you're only doing video and not playing games.
Thanks, Andy. That's very useful information. There are two PCs in our main living room (neither of which can cope with any serious use of madVR). One is an Intel NUC that serves as an HTPC and which runs very quietly in a corner away from the seating area. The other is an older Dell Precision Workstation and is my primary computer. It's closer to where we sit, but is normally idle and silent when we are watching the TV. That's the PC I'm intending to replace, so a low fan noise level would be very important to me when using madVR on this new machine.

Do the fans on your 3070 FE start running when madVR is at its highest settings? For example, I'm assuming that using it to upscale HD to 4k would be more demanding than running native 4k with HDR.
haggis999 is offline   Reply With Quote