View Single Post
Old 29th July 2020, 06:50   #29749  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Thanks for posting your tale. In my case its been over FOUR YEARS since my video PC has worked! Loaded with drives of course, and since we moved houses/locations the mobo has refused to come alive. This used to happen when I'd leave it for months in the summer, and it would sometimes balk when re-firing the thing for winter, but now it remains quiet.

I have dreaded the work associated with building a new PC but maybe your experience will inspire me! In the Fall!
Well, I can't really take any credit. There is this shop with these guys who have been here nearby forever who work on computers. So, I gave one of them a quick call, gave them my sad story, basically stated what I wanted hardware wise and what I had, ran the actual parts by him to get his opinion, bought them from Amazon, had him build it.

@AmigaFuture I know, I know about W10, believe me. But, it was just the simplest option for the fellow building it. Otherwise we would be talking about 'ghosting' my old SSD drive and the old OS, etc., etc... It was just WAY more simple to buy the new faster M2 SSD drive from him with W10 already installed and used as the primary OS drive. He didn't even charge me for the OS. It's been fine though. It is really a no-brainer simply using Classic Start easily to get it to look like W7. And, it is just faster. I've never used the 'tiles' and all that crap since W8 anyway. There ARE a few little quirks here and there, but overall it is much faster and sleeker (of course the new generation SSD drive helps I'm sure )
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote