View Single Post
Old 29th July 2020, 17:03   #29758  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
FOUND IT!

There is a similar problem here which put me to the right direction.
The commandline states "--threads auto" ... that might do for 99% of the systems. But I build that machine mainly for encoding, with 2 Xeon 2699v3, that sum up (with hyperthreading) to 72 threads total.
Every thread of x264 uses a certain amount of RAM, which breaks the memory limitation of 32bit apps

I guess disabling hyperthreading ("--threads 36" is working with 2.8 GB RAM used) will solve the problem for me, but if someone builds a similar system or uses one of the mean AMD Threadrippers, they will also run into that Problem.
[edit] Read a little more: "--threads auto" creates 1.5 times CPU cores threads for encoding... So even with Hyperthreading switched off the encode would fail on my machine
I'll recheck and see if that option is actually necessary. If not I'll remove it, otherwise I'll create a hidden option to remove it.

[Edit] Actually that won't work because the default value is "auto". But... there is a HIDDEN option in BD-RB that will set the number of threads you want to use:

THREADS=n

n is the number of threads to use. The limit is 16. I may have to look at increasing that limit. X264 has a limit of 128, but they say "realistically you should never set it this high".

Last edited by jdobbs; 29th July 2020 at 17:16.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote