View Single Post
Old 16th May 2020, 15:43   #208  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
IVTC is a form of deinterlacing. I think you mean that bob-deinterlacing should only be used on the parts that need to be bobbed, which is exactly how my method works.
No, that's not I mean.

Deinterlacing (any kind) primarily involves resizing a single field (+/- temporal filtering) . If you use it on progressive content, you lose ~1/2 the resolution of a full progressive frame. A full progressive frame consists of 2 fields from the same moment in time - they just need to be matched and weaved.

Double rate deinterlacing should only be used for the 59.94 sections

Single rate deinterlacing of any form (or QTGMC in progressive mode for temporal antialiasing) should only be used for problem sections, orphan fields

IVTC is used for progressive content. This means primarily field matching to get back the full progressive frames (+ decimation if 23.976p), + /- post processing for residual combing (e.g. orphan field, that single field can get deinterlaced) .

If you deinterlace, (single or double) with any method, you will degrade >90% of the content. The main distinction is interlaced vs. progressive content

Quote:
It's worse than that: supposedly, some sections suffer retrograde field behavior. We still haven't discussed how to handle that.
Maybe someone should post a sample, and if verify if there really is 59.94 content. Some people say "interlaced" when it's really only combed for 3:2 hard telecine, or really only an orphan field.

Last edited by poisondeathray; 16th May 2020 at 15:56.
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote