View Single Post
Old 7th December 2019, 17:19   #7232  |  Link
markiemarcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kermit View Post
thanks both.

I've gathered those parameters from many sources, and honestly have mostly no clue about the impact.

Something like this?

--preset slow --vbv-maxrate 20000 --deblock=-4:-1 --amp --aq-strength 0.85 --qcomp 0.7 --selective-sao 1 --rskip --output-depth 10 --Aq-mode 3

I don't care about grain. Grain is IMO just noise.
And while I understand that old material just has to have grain I don't understand why there is grain in newer material.

If grain can be reduced without having other negative effects on a movie, that would also be fine.
I don't analyze still pics, I don't see a point there. I'm not watching still pics.

would the above be a good compromise, sufficient, or is there more to fine tune?

-roland
It's very difficult to compare without 2-pass, but I'd also ditch qcomp 0.7 . Between that and the Aq strength changes, bitrate at CRF 22 is going to drop quite a lot, so I'd maybe look at using a lower CRF. Maybe start around CRF 20.5 and see how you get on?

Perhaps keep AQ strength at the default of 1.0 for the time being. You really need 2-pass and short scene tests to find the optimal value.

Last edited by markiemarcus; 7th December 2019 at 17:30.
markiemarcus is offline   Reply With Quote