View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2006, 15:40   #14  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkman
Well, yes I understand that, but it doesn't really answer my question about how to deal with DVD's that require cropping off the black bars.
When you crop away the black mattes from a DVD source, the important thing is too make sure you end up with horizontal and vertical resolutions that are in multiples of 16 pixels (aka: "mod16").

However, because this is not always possible with cropping alone, you may end up having to re-size the image slightly until you obtain a "mod16" frame size.

In theory, it is possible to display an encode at any shape you want, once the required AR signalling value has been applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkman
Another related question is: Why are the padding bars even there on the DVD? Are they part of the original image as it was meant to be displayed or just artifacts of DVD conversion?
The black mattes are there because that is what was agreed upon and later defined within the MPEG-2 DVD standard.

It was decided that the most effective way of displaying images with different aspect ratios was to overlay the "image portion" onto a "black background portion" (aka: matte) with a fixed Frame Aspect Ratio (FAR). So this is why all commercial PAL DVD's have an fixed FAR of 720x576 or 5/4. All commercial NTSC DVD's have a fixed FAR of 720x480 or 3/2.

Hope that helps.... a bit

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 3rd February 2006 at 15:44.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote