View Single Post
Old 15th October 2018, 02:49   #7  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by empleat View Post
Hey,
do anyone use full color range ever ?
I was using limited range since forever, because on full color range movie is pixelated, on background of dark scenes. And also problem with full color range, it is to dark, if you increase gamma, or brightness even slightly, it becomes to pixelated.
"Dark scenes becoming pixelated" sounds like dark scenes showing blocking or compression artefacts when you increase the brightness/gamma. They'd normally be harder to see when the correct levels are used.

How is your PC connected and is it connected to a TV or PC monitor? Many devices can be set to expect either limited range or full range levels over HDMI. If it's set for limited range input then the TV/Monitor will expand the levels to full range itself.

Maybe your TV/Monitor is set to expect limited range levels. If you send it a full range levels the picture will probably look too dark. If it's expecting full range levels and you send it limited range, the picture can look a bit "washed out".

There should also be settings in your video card's control panel for adjusting the output levels for video.

Traditionally, TVs expect limited range levels and PC monitors expect full range, but most recent TVs probably allow you to choose. For my Samsung TV the setting is called "HDMI Black Level" and counter-intuitively, "normal" means full range input while "low" means limited range input.

The LCD monitor I bought a while ago had the HDMI inputs set to limited range by default, even though it's a PC monitor.

DVI and VGA inputs would normally be full range.

Last edited by hello_hello; 15th October 2018 at 02:55.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote