View Single Post
Old 27th April 2018, 21:15   #50450  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatterx76 View Post
I only JUST bought this Asus SOAR a couple weeks ago. If this is in fact a defect I should be returning it. It has a shield over it to prevent this sort of thing. (I thought)
I would not assume it is being caused by the sound card, I actually suspect the video card. Coil whine is usually the video card or motherboard but given that it happens when using madVR I suspect the video card. Does it go away if you switch to motherboard audio or swap the video card (if possible)? It can also show up and disappear on its own. I have had both a monitor and video card that eventually stopped whining, but the monitor took months, and it often doesn't ever go away.

Coil whine is very frustrating because it usually only shows up with very specific loads. I have even seen (heard) power supply based coil whine that changed pitch when scrolling the mouse wheel.

People sometimes get some 2-ton epoxy or similar and try to lock down/dampen the chokes enough that they stop whining... with mixed results.

Manufactures rarely accept coil whine as a reason to RMA unless it is really bad, and even then they are sometimes difficult.