View Single Post
Old 1st May 2018, 13:17   #2  |  Link
manolito

I had the same problems when DVB-T became DVB-T2 in Germany last year. DVB-T used MPEG2-TS while DVB-T2 uses HEVC video and E-AC3 or AAC-LATM audio.

ProjectX converts MPEG-TS to MPEG-PS streams during its demuxing. This is essential to correct A/V sync problems for broadcast glitches.

TS-Doctor keeps the original streams in the TS format. It has happened many times to me that after converting the recorded stream into a different format I got sync problems. It did not matter if I let TS-Doctor repair the broadcast stream or not. The log told me where the glitches had occured, but I had to fix audio sync manually.

If your main goal is removing useless packets then you can use MKVToolNix to repack the source TS to MKV. Make sure to use a current version of MKVToolNix because there were problems a little while ago with handling TS-Doctor fixed files.

TS-Doctor has many other useful features you may or may not need. Like cutting the source (only at key frames) or removing commercials. The decision if you want to spend the money for it is up to you. I use the Doctor all the time, but I guess my conversion results would not be different if I removed the Doctor from my work flow.

For me the standard work flow is:
1. TS-Doctor (optional)
2. MKVToolNix for repacking to MKV
(absolutely necessary for HEVC-TS sources, otherwise seeking is a PITA)
3. Cutting with single frame accuracy using MKVCutter or VidCutter.
4. Convert to SD AVC/AAC using StaxRip.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote