View Single Post
Old 16th July 2019, 08:10   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Seems odd to me - AFAIK Telestream uses x264 under the hood. They certainly use x265 for HEVC encoding.

http://www.telestream.net/vantage/va...ultiscreen.htm

Maybe they have multiple AVC encoders available, not sure. In any case, good to see x264 performing well here, but this is of course only part of the picture. Vantage is a great workflow tool, enabling a lot of things that would require custom software development otherwise (adaptive workflows, lots of custom broadcast metadata / container handling).

Not that I'm a Telestream shill, but Vantage definitely has a lot of value for shops that need to process video at scale into specialized formats, but who can't / won't invest in their own custom software

Also, how can your source be both SDR and HDR PQ? I understand how using HLG kind of combines SDR and HDR, but I don't understand how you could have a single ProRes source file that's both SDR and HDR with PQ. That would require unique sources AFAIK. Maybe I'm missing something / misunderstood something?

Are you quite certain that both of your test code paths are doing the same thing with your levels and colors? If something unexpected happened in the Vantage pipeline that would explain the consistently better performance with plain x264.

Last edited by Blue_MiSfit; 16th July 2019 at 08:13.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote