View Single Post
Old 19th June 2019, 21:28   #56641  |  Link
Jacob b

4K HDR breaks madVR on my win7 HTPC

Hi
I have serious problems with 4K HDR pass through on my WIN7 64pro HTPC sourcing a 4K LG OLED; on my Win 10 HTPC sourcing my 4K projector HDR pass though works fine...

I have had MadVR running for half a year upscaling 720P and 1080P to my 4K LG OLED, with no problems. I recently started to play Blu-ray UHD as well, after buying a UHD friendly drive.
They play fine on both HTPCs, but when I pause or skip (30 sec, 1 min etc), the win7 HTPC breaks down: the movie turns 95 % white. The black cinemascope bars remain black. It continues to play the movie with sound and all. It does not happen every time I skip or pause in all movies; some more than others. However, I can make them all "break" by skipping long enough. When I STOP playback of the movie, 50-70 % of the time, Windows changes from 3840 x 2160 to 600 x 600 and displays a "madVR has stopped working" box.

I have the exactly same settings in madVR on the two HTPCs, except I have full screen exclusive mode checked on the Win7 HTPC and not on the Win 10. That is the only difference.
They have the exact same settings in Nvidia control panel: 23hz: RGB, 12 bit, full; 50 hz: RGB, 8 bit, full. Desktop is set to 23 hz to avoid the Nvidia 12 bit reset bug.
HOWEVER; the Nvidia driver is not the same. My win7 has a GTX 1050 card and uses 385.28, but my win10 HTPC has a RTX 2060 card and needs min. 411.63 (I use 417.71 currently, will try 430.53 soon iot get correct HDR meta data pass through)

WHAT I HAVE TRIED SO FAR:
1) Tested the Win10 HTPC on the OLED TV - It works there as well...
2) Changed the win7 HTPC settings to 8 bit in NCP as well as madVR, i.e. unchecked exclussive full screen mode, changed display settings to 8 bit not 10 or higher
3) Keeping NCP set to 12 bit and unchecking full screen exclusive mode
4) Keeping NCP set to 12 bit, unchecking full screen exclusive mode and checked the windowed mode just above
5) Changed madVR from pass through to tonemap using pixelshading. Aside form the GTX 1050 not being fast enough for that, it actually also crashed when stop or skip. Except not with the whiteout, just with the resize to 800 x 600 and madVR "stopped working" message. I will eventually try this on my win10 / RTX2060 HTPC and projector combo, but I prefer pass through for the OLED.
6) a lot more....

Bonus info: I use Mediaportal 1.22 on both machines, along with madVR. LAV filter is 0.74.1, using DXVA copy back.

I am currentlu considering:
A) updating Nvidia driver on the win7 HTPC to the same driver as on the win10 HTPC (417.71)
B) Doing a clean win10 install on the win7 HTPC...
C) Hanging myself in a garden three

Any one had similar issues or heard of some who had?
Help appriciated!! ;-)
Jacob b is offline   Reply With Quote