View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:59   #11  |  Link
blob2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
My settings are for max compatibility with HW DVD players (Advanced Simple L5, H.263, VAQ ON, QP and GMC OFF, BVOPs ON at 2, Packed Bitstream OFF). With these settings I never had any problems, with a quantizer of 3 the quality was always pretty good.
AS@L5 is not good for max compatibility with all (and olds) standalone player, because it has VBV maxbitrate: 8.000Mbit/s; For max compatibility VBV bitrate must be 4.854 Mbit/s
For this there are "sub-profiles" of AS: (DivX)Home Theater and Xvid Home profiles (Xvid Home set to max consecutive b-frames = 1 or 2, and Quantization matrix set to MPEG standard/H.263 only); Celtic's and Jawor's builds have good and similar MTK profiles too.

With 2 B-vops: Packed bitstream must be OFF to play fine in most player, but must be ON to play fine in others...
Max compatibility is: 1 B-vops with packed bitstream ON.

--

I use Xvid (1.3.7 now) for my HD encodings/rips (source: usb of DVB-S2 TV decoder) for many years.
I use Xvid HD 720 profile set to compatibility with 720 HD profile of DivX: Max 2 B-vops, packed bitstream (is forced) and I set VAQ, no qpel, standard PAR etc...Custom Matrix and PB are not never a problem in HD DVD/BR player (at least in certified DivX, and in most multimedia players), and I use Sharktooth EQM V3LR matrix: quality is very good. It's a HVS full compliant matrix too
I don't use HVS PSNR metric: encoding is too much slow , relate to quality that produces.

Quote:
So why in the world should I switch to this latest version? Because newer is always better? Just give me one good reason...
IMHO 1.3.2, and newer versions, make best quality (slightly) in 2-pass encoding, in relation to the file size.

Last edited by blob2500; 3rd January 2020 at 13:54.
blob2500 is offline   Reply With Quote