View Single Post
Old 13th March 2010, 08:27   #7270  |  Link
MikeyBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priapismic View Post
I too have had some OC related problems, but only on this, my first use of 32.05; x264 has now crashed 3 times consecutively as I tweaked the OC settings back toward stability.
I can not explain the exact cause - Absolutely nothing else in the system has changed (other than the current version of AnydvdHD). I am downloading 32.08 now and will try it at the current, and then the former, higher, settings.
...weird...
I've not had any sort of crashing, just that I was getting some of the recent BD-9s coming out with some pixelating on them. At first I thought it was during the encoding, suspecting that my OC'ing was becoming unstable because I had let my system get a little dusty inside... but I have since narrow it down to the actual rips of the original Blurays, so I am now taking a look at my BD drive (reflashed it's firmware) or the latest AnyDVD-HDs (but then I'd hear about the same issues for others at the Slysoft forums.)

So it appears it has nothing to do with either my overclocking, nor BDRebuilder and x264... more like the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
A small note:

Remember that when you're overclocking a processor you not only have to pay attention to cooling and voltage, you also have to pay attention to the North Bridge (memory controller hub) and the actual RAM itself since they are overclocked as well. I have a Q9550 E0 Stepping that's been overclocked to 3.6 GHz for over a year and not a single BD RB error to report. The processor can be pushed to 3.8 GHz and appear to be running stable. Once I've found that point high point I then begin to back it down to reduce voltage settings and heat to insure maximum stability.

Since I started using DVD Rebuilder back in 2004 I've come across overclocking issues so many times in forums that it is one of the first areas that I question. I'm all for overclocking but if you're going to do it make certain that you've checked every part on your computer that's affected by it, and insure that they're all in working order before involving others on what could be a wild goose chase.
For someone that is said to have OC'ed for over a year, I'm surprised that you'd mention such no-brainer type things like that.... I wouldn't have been able to OC my Q9550 even to 3.4 GHz if I wasn't controlling all aspects of OC'ing. I've had my Q9550 as high as 4.0 stable, so it's not like I just increased the clock speed and said 'voila', I'm overclocking...lmao.
I just got caught off guard since I noticed a few BD-9s having the pixelating, and then noticed some odd fluctuations in my voltages.. just coincidental though. I have now noticed some of that pixelating in the rips themselves. I have re-ripped those Blurays again and will see how it goes.

But I also did report back to emphasize that it was 'not' x264 nor BDRebuilder.