View Single Post
Old 24th March 2012, 19:13   #5  |  Link
TheSkiller

Well, I'm not exactly sure what could be causing this but the first thing I'd do is check the drum and all the parts that come in contact with the tape for obvious dirt.

I would clean these parts anyway if I bought a used deck. When I got my NV-FS 200 it did have some white and black "comets". The reason was excessive dirt on the head drum. The difference however was that these comets were randomly placed all over the picture, not at the same spot all the time like yours.

Don't use a cleaning tape, they are useless and might even make things worse.
You can clean the head drum with a plain uncoated piece of print paper (cut it to a reasonable size) and Isopropyl alcohol of 99% alcohol. Put some of it on your piece of paper so that it is wet but not dripping and push it gently against the side of the head drum. Use your other hand to turn the head drum carefully from above.
The other parts like the capstan and so on can be cleaned using a Q-tip soaked in Isopropyl. Don't touch the head drum with the Q-tip though.

This is very effective, I have cleaned countless decks and camcorders this way.

You can do without the Isopropyl alcohol but it's not as effective and most of all without it the head drum doesn't turn easily when the piece of paper is pushed against it.

So in a nutshell, have a good look inside first.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 24th March 2012 at 19:15.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote