View Single Post
Old 26th March 2012, 10:14   #9  |  Link
legrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
Did you play the tape on the Matsui before or after the Panasonic?

If before, try it again. It might now be damaged. Probably not, but maybe.

I've seen (what looked like) exactly this problem before - but as I had 160 VCRs to choose from at the time, I just passed over the faulty deck. About 1 time in 5 the problem would disappear (on the same tape). Very strange.

Cheers,
David.
Hi David,

I played the tape before and after on the Panasonic and I get the same result. It also happens with other tapes. Completely agree about the point where sometimes the problems disappears - lately the problem is always there :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I've seen the youtube.

First issue: the tape has a problem, and you'll see it for yourself if you unlock the protecting cap - a longitudinal deformation (fold, wrinkle or scratch). No deck is immune, but some can mask it better than others. Of course, it also may be that the Matsui had a problem after the head, or the Panny before the head - that is the tape was ok before playing in the Matsui, but defected after.

The noise you see is caused by an insufficient head-band contact. Maybe your VCR has tape tension issues (these aggravate the drop-outs as well). Remove the cover and see if the tape curves when you FF then STOP (or PLAY then PAUSE). It should remain tense, or at least straight.

So, use a new tape, and if the symptoms persist, then you might have a bad head, so you need to change the upper cyl.
It does it on every tape I have (maybe they're all duff!) When I get it back from the Panasonic I'll open it up and have a look.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll report back.
legrant is offline   Reply With Quote