View Single Post
Old 30th August 2018, 21:00   #4  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Also to mention that only the small stats file is produced in pass1 rather than the fully encoded video.
When you select Full Quality First Pass however, all encoder parameters settings are enabled in pass 1 already, making pass 1 much slower with little benefit for the final 2-pass quality. Also, the fully encoded video is kept from pass 1 rather than the stats file only.
Actually, "discard first pass" and "full quality first pass" are separate settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
As for GMC I think to remember that it has little to nil effect on compressability but increases the encoding time substantially.
I ran a second batch of tests with "full quality first pass" enabled and found that GMC did improve compressibility by a few megabytes. Q-pel, however, wasted more bits than it saved. I'm now running a third set of tests: one-pass, target bitrate eleventy gazillion mbits/sec, railroaded quantizer of 4. So far, it looks like the benefits of GMC are lost at these lower file sizes.