View Single Post
Old 18th May 2022, 15:39   #63121  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVR's tips.txt file

You can force madVR to apply specific properties by adding tags to your filenames.

deint=On|Off|Video|Film|ivtc
Is there any difference between "Film" and "ivtc"? I can't seem to tell any difference but just wanted to make sure. Asmodian's "madVR options explained" doesn't mention any difference, and neither does JRiver's wiki.

On another note I am a bit disappointed with MadVR's "Video" mode deinterlacing -- it seems to need a lot of frames before it realises it can switch to weaving fields for static unchanging pixels, and when it does, it is super sensitive to the slightest bit of pixel movement to trigger it out of weaving (such as a small amount of camera movement, or older content which has that constant film reel jitter). Even a very low end TV has better video mode deinterlacing than this. It's problematic for content with mixed field cadences and/or "bad edits" (dynamic field order changes) we need good video mode deinterlacing. I seem to have a vague memory of reading how per-pixel video mode deinterlacing is implemented very simply and cheaply on Broadcom STB chipsets, so I think there is a more efficient and effective way to do it.

Interlaced clip 1
Video mode deinterlacing works quite well with this clip, but only because the static unmoving parts of the image are perfectly still. But the alternating white and black 1px lines reveal a long ~500ms delay before weaving actually kicks in.

Interlaced clip 2
Video mode deinterlacing works quite badly with this clip as there is constant small amounts of movement of the frame which keeps kicking it out of weave deinterlacing and dropping back to effectively 240p resolution. Film deinterlacing works much better, but the content uses multiple cadences and some elements don't render properly, eg. the 60fps credits.

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T to toggle between deinterlacing modes.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 21st May 2022 at 12:23.
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote