View Single Post
Old 14th October 2018, 16:55   #27849  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
OK, I copied the DVD contents into a directory,
For mode I selected "Movie-Only Backup." Then I selected "Alternate Movie-Only Output." Within the list given I selected "MKV, Intact Video, Intact Audio" and saved it. I then did DVD import and selected a single title, the shortest one (which is the sample I provided). When I tell it to go, it built a BD structure. No indication of a MKV file being created.

Color me confused.
The import doesn't create an MKV. It only imports. You then have to select an output mode (like ALTERNATE) and run the job against the BD structure created during the import. You also have to make sure the source selected meets that minimum times specified for imports (see Import/QuickPlay Settings). I think it defaults to 15 minutes...

Is the DVD structure unaltered from an original disc? I ask because the VOB you gave me isn't consistent with the DVD standard (since it has a variable frame rate). If you are trying to use that one, something has happened to it in between the time it existed on a disc and it was created on the hard drive, and it is just going to fail again.

Who knows... it may be some type of new protection scheme (though I doubt it). Since the timecodes are used to display output on the player, if someone manipulated a video stream in a VOB it just might not be rejected. But it would definitely fail to meet the standard. If it is a protection scheme, it is something new, because I've worked with literally thousands of DVDs during development and testing of DVD-RB and BD-RB and have never seen a variable framerate.

What makes it even more rare is the weird variation in timecodes. Normally BD-RB would catch the underlying frame rate and correct it during the import's VFR->CFR conversion. Why would there ever be a period shorter than the distance between original frames of the video source when encoding VFR? That defeats the purpose of VFR. I may just change the algorithm so that it would use the "Original Frame Rate" when it is listed in the MEDIAINFO output rather than the value it determines from the timecode scan. That way the craziness shown in the VOB you sent me would just be ignored. But, with the crazy timecodes, I'm not sure DirectshowSource() would even work correctly during the VFR-->CFR conversion. It may be forced to drop frames where the interval is too short.

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th October 2018 at 17:21.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote