View Single Post
Old 13th June 2022, 16:43   #19525  |  Link
Ryushin

RipBot 2.0

Hi Atak,

If your schedule allows, it would be nice to get a RipBot 2.0. You might want to change the name to just RipBot or maybe something like RipBotEncoder.

SMDegrain has been a game changer in quality, though not without its steeper learning curve. I have transitioned over to SMDegrain exclusively though using Pauly Dunnes Tools. Though I create my own scripts to use the CPU only instead of the GPU. SMDegrain is powerful and flexible enough to be the primary degrainer for RB. The options for Blur plus Contrasharp on very grainy sources produces output that defies what I would think would be possible.

Dolby Vision is also easier to deal with and is scriptable: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=183479 There are some options that have to be passed if cropping is going to be used in the final output.

It would be nice to see a UI overhaul of the AVI Synth settings. If the window could be made quite a bit larger to see the 2.40:1 bottom borders for 4K sources like you can with HD sources. The larger window will also give you more space for the options. For the SMDegrain settings. A pull down menu with a few presets for most people, something like this:
Light: SMDegrain(video,tr=2,thSAD=200,thSADC=100,refinemotion=true)
Medium: SMDegrain(video,tr=4,thSAD=400,thSADC=200,refinemotion=true)
Heavy: SMDegrain(video,tr=8,thSAD=800,thSADC=400,refinemotion=true)
Then add a Blur+Sharp radio button next to SMDegrain filter that adds the following depending how heavy they wanted it:
Light: contrasharp=true,prefilter=0
Medium: contrasharp=true,prefilter=1
Heavy: contrasharp=true,prefilter=2
Then having an Advanced option on the bottom of the pull down that opens up another new window with more switches and options. Such as having the tr, thSAD (I think thSADC should always be half of thSAD), refinemotion, contrasharp, prefilter, str (for darker sources), blksize, etc. A little "?" mark next to each option would be nice with a mouse hover pop up that provides details on that option.

Changes for the Distributed Encoding model would be good too. The Primary server would dole out work to the clients. The RipBot install on the client would have something like a "DE Client" startup option and then RB will just start up minimized to the system tray with no Server processes started. The Primary RB server would then communicate with the RB Client to start up how many server processes along with the options for those server processes. The DE window can also have a per Client Thread Calibration button that you can click that will open up a window with two grainy 1 minutes sources, one for HD and one for 4K that the user can choose select one they want, then pop up a warning that this could take a long time, then the Primary server will send the Job to the RB Client, start up a single Server Process along with the number of threads to test for SMDegrain Heavy or MDegrain2-400, over and over until the optimum number of threads is found. Though some intelligence can be added, like start with half threads, then the lower quarter threads, upper quarter of threads, then fine tune it between the two quarters that had the best speed.

Atak, I know I've asked this before, but it would be nice to get RB up on Git along with the source and a issue tracker.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote