View Single Post
Old 19th January 2021, 22:47   #1  |  Link
Perenista

Keyframe issue with project - what could account for this?

Below you can read the description of a problem I encountered with a project from a friend that is restoring some recordings. I was wondering if you could shed some light on what I said that could be causing all these bugs.

Before that: this is the MEDIAINFO from the file affected:

https://pastebin.com/Mr1zyKxp

And these were the software involved with this authoring:

° DVD-Shrink (freeware)
° Make MKV (freeware)
° MKV Toolnix (freeware)
° meGui (freeware)
° StaxRip (freeware)

° Topaz Video Enhance AI
° Adobe Premiere Pro

FINAL FILE IDENTIFIED AS "PROJECT NUMBER #4". IT'S IN THE 4K RESOLUTION.

I think I identified a problem with the way the files are created (note: so far I only checked the bigger/4K ones).

When I use my PC and MPC-HC (or MPC-BE), then I move forward and backwards based on keyframes, one thing I noticed is that the 4K file jumps several seconds and at 22 minutes it may even jump 2 minutes. But if I check the same project file number #4 in a different method I used here from my own stuff the jump is always 1, 2 seconds.

What difference does that make? Well, when I simply move back and forward with MPC-HC I noticed the player frezes and crashes. I mean, not crash as in closing itself with the usual “this program has stopped working”. It simply pauses the episode and doesn’t move forward.

This happens with MPC-HC. After 22m27s, if I try to jump forward there will be this freezing. The jump forward here will be from 22m27s to 22m32s. At 22m32s the content will be permanently frozen. If I move backwards it will be OK again.

Please note this moment is exactly where I said there is some “keyframe” lasting 2 minutes.

This indicates the way the file was created was somehow problematic for the player.

I tried with MPC-BE the same moment. In it this freezing doesn’t occur. But one funny thing happens: a jump from 22m27s to 24m58s.

This indicates MPC-BE is capable of bypassing this issue. But this player is rarely used (MPC-HC is largely more popular) and I rarely remember I had here.

Also tried the same moments with VLC. It behaves exactly like MPC-HC.

Another problem is this:

MPC here has the option to resume playback enabled. Which means if I stop a 2 hour movie at 1 hour and 3 minutes plus 27 seconds, next time I open this file it will be at the 1h03m27s mark.

With this keyframe problem this doesn’t work with the project file number #4. Let’s say I am watching the content and then stop at 22m46s. (with MPC-HC)

If I close the file then try to reopen…

The screen will be 100% black. Worse: the cursor will not move from there. So it will be totally frozen at 22m47s. Oddly, about 10 seconds later the cursor will move to 22m48s and the content will continue as if nothing had happened.

Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote