View Single Post
Old 5th January 2020, 23:25   #19  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

MiniConvert.exe false positive?

As of writing this (2020-01-05 UTC), my antivirus ClamWin sees malware in MiniConvert.exe coming with Xvid installers (I'm on Win7). This is likely to be a false positive, as only 2 out of 70 engines "detect" it (Virustotal, Jotti — I don't really trust those sites, just for reference).

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Another thing I like about the Celtic Druid version is that his installer does not install any bloatware. It does not even create a new folder under Program Files, this is my preferred behavior.
To be fair, the current installer lets you install files in the folder you select (C:\Program Files\Xvid is the default, but not forced).
Possibly bad things about this installer include:
  • You can't open it as an archive and extract the actually installed files (as pointed out by filler56789)
  • When you update or re-install a different version of Xvid, the installer creates subfolder rollbackBackupDirectory, rollbackBackupDirectory1, rollbackBackupDirectory2, etc. and copy the old files there. The uninstaller doesn't clean up these old files.
  • It doesn't keep the old Xvid encoding settings. The settings will be initialized when you update (this may be necessary and safer in general, though).
  • It doesn't remember that the user doesn't want auto-update checking, even though it does save old files. You have to manually select "No" every time you install Xvid.
A good thing about this installer is:
  • It explicitly asks if the user wants auto-update checking. Nowadays, so many applications try to phone home without asking the user. Xvid at least doesn't do such a rude thing.
I couldn't reproduce your results because my tests are only against 1.3.5 (relatively new) and using different settings (2-pass, not 1-pass).
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote