View Single Post
Old 31st July 2018, 10:42   #51902  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
Having specific threads for let's say development, hdr, 12 bit, known issues, ... would make finding an answer a lot easier, especially if there were a faq or table of content with links in the first posts.
Yes
I´m following this thread for many years now, it is a great thread, definitely, but the structure could be improved in my opinion. The all-in-one concept is sometimes really annoying, especially when:
- always the same questions again and again
- people searching for personal help - the solution is often enough of no use for anyone else
- general HTPC / computer stuff like "the best GPU", how big has my PSU to be, what CPU do I need...
- mixing up development view with end-user view
- mixing of stable / beta / experimental stuff

Many of these "annoyances" could be overcome at least partially with an alternative thread structure, like subthreads:

- FAQ: answers many of these "same questions over and over again"
- help: people can ask here for personal help, advanced users can do this "job"
- hardware section with subsections: discussing new hardware on the market, performance, price, experiences,...
- driver section: discussion room for "new driver is released", "driver x has these errors/flaws/faults", "driver y has this bug fixed", "driver z is my favorite driver"
- feature request: "madVR should contain..."
- research & development: discussing white papers, studies, recent approaches, alternatives, computer algorithms, neuronal networks,...
- test area: asking people for testing new features and deliver feedback
- vote section: making votes when making decisions for a majority of the community

Maybe not all of these sections are needed, maybe there are other, maybe they could be labeled in another way, but it should be useful.
Some guy only interested in help for a personal problem like "my blacks crush, why is that?" would not have to deal with active development of a new scaling algorithm. And the rest of the community outside of the help section would not have to deal with this guy
And another experienced / advanced guy is maybe only interested in the "test area", "research & development" and "feature requests" and doesn´t want to deal with the "plain rest".

The fact of 50000+ posts in this thread should be an indication for such a splitting

Not being able to explain things in a short manner, see above, I try to sum it up:
"This thread needs some structure"

Last edited by hannes69; 31st July 2018 at 10:45.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote