View Single Post
Old 20th August 2020, 17:42   #10  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Yes, you should do everything in 10 bit 4:2:2 these days unless you really don't care Minimize those format conversions, keep everything SDI compatible.
Alright. I've started capturing in v210. So far so good, all 10 tapes are in sync. For the records, next week they're gonna bring an old TBC that is only collecting dust right now. I hope it will help the situation improve even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
A bit safer than having someone finding faults later in the process and blaming the capture guy.
Yeah, true, although I'm QC 'em all myself while capturing so I guess they're gonna be fine. On the 25th of August one of my colleagues is gonna join me so that we can speed-up the process, I'm gonna work in the morning, he's gonna work in the evening and we're gonna be active 16h a day and leave the other hours for the VTR to rest xD

Quote:
Are those orphaned fields at the same place everytime ? One machine may find its way better than another.
Not really, no, different captures produce different results most of the time. "Most of the time" 'cause among the 140 tapes I've already captured only 1 tape produced the same result every single time (three times in a row), so I had to manually edit the final file, but I was able to fix all the others that had issues by recording them twice, so I think that your "best of three" solution would work.

Quote:
And well I may be in the queue for a working machine for the few beta tapes I will have to capture myself.
Well, all I can say is go for Sony and DO NOT go for Thompson or other brands. This is from a fairly demagnetized Tape from the 80s (Thompson on the left, Sony on the right): https://we.tl/t-ypJVoxYrXH

As you can see, the difference is ENORMOUS. I never expected Sony DVW-A500 to be so good, but apparently it really is, so hats off and a big fat "thank you" to Sony Engineers from the 70s/80s for their incredible electronic work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Any chance you could try a different computer in case it's some weird bus latency issue? I've seen problems relating to unstable capture on certain motherboards and had to disable bits of integrated crap or just use a different board alltogether. These types of issues can also cause latency / other problems in audio production apps.
I see... sure, I can do that, but right now I'm gonna wait 'till it happens with v210 as well. If it does, then I'm gonna try another workstation. Looking inside the BIOS, I didn't really see anything dodgy activated, though.

EDIT: Oh, look at that, my 1'000 post on Doom9! I'm moved! :')

Last edited by FranceBB; 20th August 2020 at 17:44.
FranceBB is online now   Reply With Quote