View Single Post
Old 7th August 2020, 23:47   #29828  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
More of a feature request:

Is it possible to turn quality up even more?
like:
Code:
--preset quality --multipass 2pass-full
I just tried the commandline ... encoding speed drops by another 25% but that wouldn't matter for me ... still around 20x faster than CPU

Or is that already covered by the QUALITY_ULTRA hidden switch?

Funny you should ask. Yes, you can get that with a hidden switch. But I left that one off the non-hidden list purposely.

Note, however: QUALITY_ULTRA doesn't apply to NVENCC, only X264 & X265.

I ran numerous tests on numerous sources using that setting. Even though the encode slowed down significantly (making you think it does more), the SSIM results were worse than the next lower setting (quality, without multipass). All the existing settings position in the quality list were based on SSIM values first and encode speed second.

My results could be wrong... but it would have to be wrong on every source I tried.

If you want, though, you can still use that setting by editing the INI file and changing ENCODE_QUALITY to a value of 4. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Just as an aside: Have you tested the HDR10+ capability I added to v0.61.10? My player doesn't support HDR10+ so I could only do limited testing (header and value checks, etc.).

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th August 2020 at 00:20.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote