View Single Post
Old 8th July 2015, 23:41   #31609  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Not with madVR, no. madVR does currently not support custom shaders which change video resolutions. This is planned for a future version, but it will take some time to get there.
Figures, I was afraid so. I can wait before trying xsbr37 though, no big hurry.

Quote:
What looks best to you isn't always fixed, though. One day you love a noisy picture and ask for ways to add even more grain.
Oh, do I seriously have to justify myself on this? OK here goes:
-I used to like adding tons of grain using GrainFactory3() over VGA fed to a CRT and HDMI to a Darkchip3 DLP projector because picture was extremely grainy to begin with and adding "smart" noise made the picture less "flat" so to speak.

-Regarding my recent switch from ED1 to ED2 with the same Sammy LCD LED TV, it's actually very simple: I switched from a very thin cheapo 8ft HDMI/DVI cable(BestBuy OEM brand duh) to a 4ft TOTL DVI cable with triple shielding, the thing is stiff as hell and made of solid copper wires.

We've all heard the stories that as long as TMDS gets through, it'll be 1:1 so I'm not sure whether the extreme shielding, signal quality or maybe the AMD drivers playing tricks on me such as several lossy YcbCr/RGB lossy conversions are the culprit(s) but PQ is *way* sharper over DVI. I do know that my neighbors blast me off with WiFi but the bluriness on computer fonts I assumed to be caused by 4:2:2 subsampling is now mostly history and with such a pinpoint sharp picture ED1 instantly became a no-go.

On a noisy set such as CRT or plasma, I would more than likely prefer ED1 again. Choices are good, they come in handy sometimes.

Quote:
HQ downscaling is actually the scientifically and technically more correct solution. Actually, the non-HQ-downscaling implementation was broken. It did not work as it was originally intended. Still, you liked it better, which is your right. But several other users had a different opinion, *I* had a different opinion, and then add to that the scientific background and the fact that the non-HQ option was actually doing stuff wrong. All this combined led me to the decision to use HQ downscaling.
Oh, so HQ is gone for good now? The thing is that different setups might respond differently, especially the video display built-in dithering. I'll be sure to test the new settings of the latest build(being the mVR whore that I am ) but I would thoroughly enjoy a way to disable HQ again please, otherwise I might be stuck with .14 till mVR allows custom shaders that change video resolutions

So HQ looks better or worse depending on the footage and it's now forced, bleh...you even said yourself that you were not sure whether it decreased or improved PQ when you first implemented it. I would happily trade the "don't use linear light for dithering" option for "don't use HQ downscaling for SR" if any possible please, no harm done and I bet no one uses the former anymore(yes, I used to like it with my crappy 8ft HDMI cable on anime content only). GL for dithering is an equally "scientifically and technically less correct solution" AFAICT and looks laughable with any grey ramp, yet it did survive.

Quote:
This is a custom reencoded Anime sample with ringing artifacts in the source. I've not compared this sample with HQ downscaling on/off. But in any case, do you really want to base your decisions on an Anime reencoding which has EE artifacts in the source already? Of course testing such sources is useful, too, but only as one of many tests.
Well, SR only takes care of upscales AFAIK and pretty much all 720p movies are reencodes in one way or another. I'd even dare saying that 99% of them are 1080p downscales. I do see the very same "hard" edges on whatever content when using NNEDI3 or sxbr though, it's fantastic for tiny videos but they both seriously try too hard for 720p@1080p to my eyes. NEDI is sharper than J3AR and yet doesn't give that nasty computerized look, please don't toss it

Last edited by leeperry; 10th July 2015 at 01:54.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote