Thread: VirtualDub2
View Single Post
Old 1st March 2017, 03:50   #207  |  Link
TlatoSMD

First off, it's great people are still developing VDub close to 20 years after its first release. I'd have two suggestions regardings things that have always bugged me about VDub although I'm still using it on a daily basis.

I'd like to be able to assign a fixed aspect ratio to the output AVI. Many people claim it would be impossible, but a.) Tmpgenc can when I'm using it for transcoding to an x264 AVI, and b.) so can Adobe Premiere Pro when I'm outputting a 4:3 or 16:9 DV AVI. Oh, and my old Canopus ADVC-100 also encodes to a 720x576 DV stream with an assigned aspect ratio of 4:3 so that when I'm playing the captured file in VLC, the display ratio is actually 768x576 (or maybe it's what my capture tool VirtualVCR does).

And speaking of audio filters, please greatly simplify VDub's audio interface! If all I wanna do is normalize the audio, what VDub is giving me is something like a set of lego bricks that I have to stack in the right way and order, and then I also have to somehow tie them all together with wires or strings. Why does it even need an "input" lego brick and an "output" lego brick? It would be much simpler if it was just like with the video filters: Choose "Normalize" from a set of pre-defined filters, set it to "max", "-1dB of max", or "-3dB of max" (and offer a seperate or integrated simple "boost" or "cut" volume filter), and you're done.

Last edited by TlatoSMD; 2nd March 2017 at 06:17.
TlatoSMD is offline   Reply With Quote