View Single Post
Old 21st January 2007, 11:19   #10  |  Link
arnezami

Quote:
Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
any way of using a PS3? i have a handful of BRDs myself...
Yes I think you may be able to help. But probably not by trying to hack the (hardware) video player in your PS3.

Apparently its possible to dump your Blu Ray discs when running linux on your PS3! I don't know the fine details but here is a link to start:

BREAKiNG NEWS: World's First PS3 Blu-ray Movie dumped!

From what I understand you need to run this command under linux:

Code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/blu-raymovie.iso
Of course you need to run linux first (there is probably lots of info on the web for this already: Yellow Dog linux seems to be the way to go, which is sponsored by Sony) and a HDD inside/attached to your PS3 to dump it on. You can later attach this HDD to your PC so you can (hopefully) use WinDVD to retrieve the volume key (edit: read below). If you have the keys you will be able to play your Blu Ray movies on your PC. So at the very least you can confirm that the keys published here are valid

Maybe someone with more experience in this field can help you to create an iso of a blue ray movie (and install/boot linux etc). And maybe someone knows if and how its possible to mount a Blu ray image in windows? Alternatively you could simply copy all file on the disc. You can start start experimenting yourself of course.

Do you have a PS3 with a 60GB HDD?

Regards,

arnezami

[edit] Hmmm. When reading the AACS_Spec_Common_0.91.pdf (chapter 4) i'm starting to believe the above mentioned volume key retrieval isn't gonna work that easy. As far as I understand drives have private keys and have to communicate with the (software) player to authenticate themselves (and vice versa). When making a iso dump and create a virtual drive this doesn't seem to be possible (unless you can make the virtual drive simulate the real drive by looking at what is send (by WinDVD) to the virtual drive and then send these "commands" to your BluRay drive using some linux proggy and record what comes back, but since the process uses nonces this might not work). It may be easier to somehow connect your BlueRay drive to your PC directly or to make some kind of connection between PS3 (running linux) and your Windows PC so you have a "BluRay remote drive" connected at a distance (are there tools for this?). Keep in mind this connection doesn't have to be fast because once the Volume Key is decrypted you can grab it and stop this process. You don't have to play/stream the entire movie using this connection because the bulk data (which is encrypted) can be transferred via the HDD iso dump. Any ideas how to make all this work?

Last edited by arnezami; 21st January 2007 at 13:19.
arnezami is offline   Reply With Quote