View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:34   #4  |  Link
aegisofrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by royia View Post
Thank You for the references.

I read what's written there and I wonder about 2 things:
1. Is there a way to accelerate some parts (To the least) of x.264 using Open CL / Direct Compute? Will we ever see something like that? That would mean a lot to many users. I read the main developer said I runs solely on the CPU, my question is it some kind of built in limitation of the code or just no effort in this direction ever been made?
2. I see x.264 us much superior to any GPU Accelerated H.264 Encoder. Yet which GPU Accelerated Encoders are considered to produce legitimate quality (Let's something above xVid in the same Bitrate).

Thanks.
Rest assured the developers have considered the possibility. In fact, accelerating part of x264 is one of the projects in x264's 2010 summer of code.

Here's the excerpt:

Quote:
GPU motion estimation

While porting x264 entirely to CUDA or OpenCL is an insane task, there are three possible methods that could be used to offload some work to the GPU:

* High-complexity motion search designed to get useful predictors to be used by the main motion search.
* Massively parallelized lookahead motion search, designed to do a lot of the work normally done in the lookahead thread. May also improve B-frame decision and other parts of the lookahead.
* Motion search designed to completely replace x264's main motion search: would require a lot of threading trickery to sync it perfectly with the main encoder threads.

The general algorithm that has been agreed on after a great deal of discussion is the hierarchical search method. If you have a better idea, feel free to propose it, of course. More description of this method is in the Qualification Tasks section.

This project is not recommended unless you have a very significant amount of experience with CUDA or OpenCL.

* Difficulty: Very High
* Amount of work: Medium
* Skill required: Very High
Source:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

(google cache link because of 404)

Original link:

http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_x264_2010
aegisofrime is offline   Reply With Quote