View Single Post
Old 1st September 2016, 13:16   #16  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
@hello_hello, it seems Normalise is already selected (post #5). I wonder if the source has out of phase channels, causing phase cancellation & low volume when mixed together. Or a very loud LFE channel, pushing down the level of the overall mix when normalised.
Good thoughts.
I never include the LFE channel when downmixing myself and I reduce the volume of the surround channels 3dB relative to the front channels. Only because I prefer it that way. Any headroom gain is just a bonus.
I stopped including the LFE channel because I downmix to stereo and compress a little on playback (night mode) and I found the only time I noticed the compression in action was occasional places with high levels of low frequency content, which would cause the volume of speech to drop. It almost never happens when the LFE isn't included.

MeGUI includes the LFE (for stereo downmixing, but not Prologic) and the surround channels aren't reduced. I don't think there's any way to change that, although you could manually create a script to open the audio, add your preferred stereo downmixing, and load the script into the audio section for encoding. (Edit: I just noticed tebasuna51 has already posted one).

Or there's an AVS Input DSP for foobar200 that'll allow it to open and encode scripts too.

Last edited by hello_hello; 1st September 2016 at 13:19.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote