View Single Post
Old 28th October 2016, 21:07   #25125  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
The players that have been released over the past few years have been designed to play all kinds of multimedia. As such, the "guts" are the same, no matter if the source is via USB or physical media. That is why content played via Blu-ray authored content will normally play even when not Blu-ray spec compliant. But, as noted in my above posting, sometimes a file may have other issues that keep the player from playing it, no matter the source.
I can tell you that hasn't been my experience. My Sony player, for example, will play almost anything that you have on USB media -- but that same content won't play if burned to a BD structure. That's because there are lots of required interdependence between the M2TS audio/video and the other BD components (CLPI files, MPLS files, etc.) The capability of the internal chipsets can be huge -- but that won't change the requirement to stick to the standard. For example, lots of MKV files have removed the black borders on widescreen sources. That plays fine as an MKV on an USB stick. But in the BD standard there is no code (used in the CLPI and MPLS) that describes that format.

Last edited by jdobbs; 28th October 2016 at 21:12.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote