View Single Post
Old 27th February 2020, 11:56   #2145  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubu View Post
Yes.

Could you elaborate on what sort of system (CPU chipset etc.), and where you got the content from? In particular, it'd be interesting to know the respective bitrates for the AV1 & VP9 files/streams, but knowing the encoder settings might also be somewhat useful.

Playback speed correlates a lot with bitrate. The 30% numbers that we've shown at conferences and in blogs are for same-quality encodes, where VP9 has a higher bitrate than AV1. If the files are same-bitrate, the performance difference goes up. On easy content, the postfilters also require a higher % of runtime (compared to e.g. inverse transform or predictors), and since AV1 has more postfilters, that means the difference will grow on low-complexity content, and will be smaller on high-complexity content. The 30% was also without film grain (since we assume the GPU will do that for free), but there is currently no browser that does that correctly yet.
(I have a Ryzen 5 1600, with a B350 board)

I just played youtube videos, with AV1 enabled and disabled, nothing scientific.
But roughly that's what I experienced in cpu usage use.

Last edited by mzso; 27th February 2020 at 12:01.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote