View Single Post
Old 24th September 2015, 11:39   #9  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
VSFilterMod and XY-VSFilter have introduced support for UTF character encoding, but I don't know the value to use in the last field of the style file. Someone knows the values for UTF-8 and UTF-16? (It is not possible to use Subresync to define them.)
Quote:
Encoding
Controls which codepage is used to map codepoints to glyphs; it has nothing to do with the actual text encoding of the script. This is only meaningful on Windows using VSFilter, where it is used to get some old (particularly Japanese) fonts without proper Unicode mappings to render properly. On other systems and renderers, Freetype2 provides the proper mappings. If you didn't understand a word of the above, pretend this setting doesn't exist, as it is rarely important.
http://docs.aegisub.org/3.2/Styles/
If in doubt I'd simply do what Aegisub does: create UTF-8 with BOM and set encoding according to subtitle language (see drop-down list in Aegisub).

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Also, I wonder what is the usage of these two parameters:
PlayResX: 720
PlayResY: 480
Apparently, they define the resolution of the video. But why is it necessary to specify them? The player knows the resolution anyway.
The player, but not necessarily the subtitle editor. Or maybe you mux the script into videos of different resolutions and want the subtitle positioning to be preserved. I wouldn't think too hard about the sense behind ASS "specs". Just set them to video resolution and move on.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote