View Single Post
Old 17th October 2019, 12:57   #17533  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
If it still takes long time then I will rethink your request. Just give me some hard numbers.
OK, here we go, this is what I observed, when encoding my "big ass" 4K, 60Mb/s bitrate encode.

Now I know a lot here cannot understand why I'm doing this the way I'm doing, (but that's my choice) so with that aside, what I have documented could impact nearly anyone that is doing 4K HEVC encodes, using Distributed Encoding.

So first things, I had an approx 65Gb, @ approx 65Mb/s bitrate movie (John Wick 3).

I queued it up, the initial demuxing & indexing of the file, took 27 minutes, using Lsmash.

Then the next day, when I started the job, it took a further 15 minutes, before it started encoding, and initiating the DE Servers, and I am ONLY doing the video.

So over the next 3 days (3 different encoding session's), probably turned out to be around 12 - 14 hour's using varying different server's in the "encoding farm".

Just a foot note, I have a lot of Solar Panels on the roof, and I won't do any long term processing jobs unless I can get it for "free", so that can change from day to day.

So, finally, late today, the chunks were all done.

So I got the phone out, and started the stop watch, and the combining of the chunks took 10 minutes 30, then the muxing process took a further 15 minutes 30, using SSD's for the Temp folder & where the encode is compiled.

I would suggest that this time would be shorter if the bitrate wasn't as high as I had it (1 Pass @ 60,000kb/s), ended up being 59.6Mb/s (Mediainfo).

I am yet to mux back in the audio (which I have changed from TrueHD to DTS-MA), and a subtitle track (.srt)

So, getting back to a question raised a week or so ago, to have RB to start the next job in the queue, whilst it is combining the chunks, and the final muxing. (Is muxing a single threaded process ?)

So observations of "my" process, there is approx 45 minutes where NONE of the DE Server's are being used, when starting a new 4K job, from scratch....then of course the DE Server's are going flat out 'til all the chunks have been completed.

Then, hopefully the Client PC is the one left doing the final combining & muxing, which leaves ALL the DE Servers doing nothing for a further 25 or so minutes. So they could be turned off until the next job has actually start encoding, for just over an hour. (Between jobs)

So as great as DE is, there can be a LOT of time that the servers aren't doing anything..so if there was a way to have RB to at least start the next job, once the chunks of the previous job were completed, that could save a reasonable amount of time, and power.

OR,

if there was someway for RB to start the DE servers once the job is about to start encoding, (when the chunks are being created) and maybe shutdown the DE servers once the chunks are done, instead of once the full encode was completed.

OR,

some option to manually turn the remote DE servers on & off from the Client pc.