View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:16   #25902  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I think he's talking about changing the framerate but staying temporally accurate. You can change the frame rate without reencoding by only changing the internal flags (that indicate framerate) -- but (unless it is using pulldown flags and you're doing iVTC) the video will speed up or slow down and not be accurate temporally.
Hmmm... I don't quite understand the 'accurate temporarally' part. All I know is that with TSMuxer if I take a file and use the drop-down box by the video file where it says 'change the fps to' and I change that, then the 'speed' of the video file WILL indeed either slow down or speed up with reference to the audio track. I think I DO understand that what it is doing is changing the 'headers', right? In other words, it's merely telling the player to render it at such 'n' such frame rate which will either speed it up or slow it down.

So, are what you are saying is that the ACTUAL frame rate doesn't change, but you can kind of 'fool' the player into playing it faster or slower...?

I THINK you can do something similar to that with MKVMerge with the aspect ratio, right? Can't you change the 'headers' or whatever they are in the file when you remux it that will cause the player to play it in a different AR then the ACTUAL file is in? That would be GREAT if I can figure out how to do that, and I have a strong suspicion that SOMEHOW if I could do that then my OPPO would play the 1440x1080 HD 4x3 files correctly instead of stretching them across the screen. But, I've never quite figured out the secret to that. Especially when I have to render a film in a BDMV format in order for my OPPO to recognize and play the HD audio.

Also too... Isn't FLAC a good example of what you were talking about where the size is compressed but none of the original information is lost? And, it seems that I remember that AVI files can be rendered lossless, right? You get a HUGE file, but that is truly lossless, right?

Last edited by Lathe; 2nd May 2017 at 08:23.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote