View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:24   #54558  |  Link
j82k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Dynamic tone mapping is supposed to look similar to this. Scenes that are below the source peak get some relief from tone mapping, which will make them appear brighter as they follow PQ curve more closely. The other scenes that seem darker are probably being tone mapped. The 2018 models should be following the PQ curve in the 0-100 nits region, mostly to fix the raised blacks issue from the 2017 models. They are known to track the curve properly from the factory.

I would think you would get the best results by leaving dynamic tone mapping enabled. Using a static curve will provide no relief from tone mapping for the entire movie. This would only make sense if the display disabled its tone mapping when confronted with metadata that indicates the source is within the display's brightness. But dynamic tone mapping should already do this without needing any metadata.

I've seen some spectacular HDR on a 2018 LG OLED, so I have no reason to bash it's tone mapping.
Not sure I'm getting what you're trying to say. Isn't tonemapping only needed because of TVs having a too low peak brightness?
As far as I know mastering monitors don't do any tonemapping, so non-bright scenes should look similar to what I see with dynamic tonemapping disabled.
Then why would it be a good thing to brighten up darker scenes?

I did a small test to see how much LGs dynamic tonemapping messes with non-bright scenes.
I just displayed a 50 nits movie scene in the background while running a grayscale sweep in HCFR.
The result shows exactly what my eyes have been seeing when using LGs dynamic tonemapping. Large deviations from the PQ, even in the lower range. With it turned off it at least follows it nicely up to like 125 nits.

j82k is offline   Reply With Quote