View Single Post
Old 8th August 2019, 22:35   #437  |  Link
mick0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotter View Post
I think this can be rewritten to not depend on dvdfab at all, but just use makemkv's libraries (and then it would work across windows, macos, linux)
That's easier said than done. Makemkv libraries don't export any keys and all keys are obfuscated in the memory so it's a lot harder to extract them from makemkv. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's not as easy as dvdfab. However, I don't really see the point on writing a "FindVUK for Makemkv" since I don't think it's any easier than writing a "FindVUK for PowerDVD/WinDVD/TMT" (official/licensed players).

IMHO it would be better to add all known device keys, processing keys and host certificates to the database and add support for calculating keys - although there is already aacskeys available for that. Also libaacs can use those DKs/PKs/HCs directly so technically it can already calculate VUKs on-the-fly for *all* discs up to MKBv68 (about 99.9% of all discs currently out there).

For bus encryption enabled discs (UHD or "BEE" BD) you need a valid host certificate for reading a data key from the drive. Also HC is needed for reading a VID from the drive - which is required for calculating a VUK. Another option is using LibreDrive mode. LD allows reading the key material from the drive without using host certificates and it also disables bus encryption completely. Therefore it can be used for backing up BEE discs using ddrescue or just by copying the files manually to the hard drive (on LD enabled drives). However, LD is not an universal solution as it only works with certain drives and firmwares so if don't have LD compatible drive you still need host certificates/data keys (or older drive that doesn't have bus encryption).
mick0 is offline   Reply With Quote