View Single Post
Old 26th December 2018, 07:39   #2  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Dither Tools actually uses 16bit stacked and it dithers it down to 8bit regular using the dithering method you choose (rounding, 8-bit ordered dither, 1-bit dither, 2-bit dither, Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion, Stucki error diffusion, Atkinson error diffusion).
Since the old Avisynth didn't support normal 16bit and was working in 8bit only, 16bit stacked and 16bit interleaved were invented.
In order to achieve 16bit in a native 8bit environment, MSB (most significant bit) and LSB (less significant bit) were divided and either stacked one on top of the other (16bit stacked) or interleaved one with the other (16bit interleaved).
As result, 16bit stacked has double height and 16bit interleaved has double width.
Going form 16bit stacked (Dither Tool) or 16bit interleaved (HDR Tools) to regular 8bit is considered as "resizing" by PotPlayer and since resizing is not allowed, it doesn't work.
That's the reason why the developers didn't integrate VideoTek() as videoscope when I suggested them.
What you can try, however, is to use Avisynth+ with its ConvertBits().
Avisynth+ is way more updated than the old Avisynth 2.6.1 and it supports normal high bit depth.
In other words, if your video is 10bit an you wanna dither it down to 8bit in PotPlayer, you can use:

Code:
Setmemorymax(512)
LoadPlugin("C:\Encoding\plugins+\ConvertStacked.dll")
potplayer_source()
ConvertBits(bits=8, dither=1)
This should output an 8bit dithered down video using the Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion, which is a well balanced algorithm. Unfortunately ConvertBits supports only ordered dithering or the Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion and doesn't support neither the Stucki error diffusion (which is very sharp and it's better for the edges), nor the Atkinson error diffusion (which is better for the flat areas).
Anyway, my favorite dithering method is the Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion, so I would tell you to go for it.
If it doesn't work, then I think you should report it to the PotPlayer forum and the developers.

Happy boxing day,
Frank.

Last edited by FranceBB; 28th December 2018 at 04:14.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote