View Single Post
Old 15th August 2015, 22:10   #24  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
No. ColorMatrix(hints=true) is placebo and in most real-life situations does nothing with regard of the colorimetry because most streams on dvds do not have colorimetry info specified and assumed to be Rec.601 by DGDecode. (and if it will be specified, it will be Rec.601 anyway)
I'm pretty sure it will assume Rec.709 when the colorimetry is not specified in the header. Perhaps that was only the case in older versions, but i'm too lazy to look it put in its documentation.
Quote:
I guess only author of the plugin can answer that. Other than that, we can't even guess. That quote makes absolutely no sense.
"corrects the colors of mpeg2 streams of dvds" - there's nothing to correct
"encoded using a different set of coefficients as used by AviSynth's color conversion routines" - What different set? What routines? Avisynth is not converting anything. This is only matters when you convert from YUV to RGB, and you don't. And even if you do, avisynth supports both conversions, Rec601 and Rec709
Guess i'm the guilty one. Of course it only matters when converting from YUV to RGB (or back). That should be clear when reading the rest of the documentation. There used to be a time when the consensus here was that dvd's were encoded assuming Rec709. The next to last version of the MPEG-2 specs said that Rec709 should be assumed when the colorimetry was not specified in the header of the stream. In the last version they changed that to 'assumed to be implicitly defined by the application', in other words can be anything. See http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Colorimetry for more details.

The general consensus nowadays is that Rec601 should be assumed for dvd's, regardless when the colorimetry is present in the header. I'm not saying that's wrong, but we can't be 100 percent sure unless some actually got that from the dvd specs itself.

Btw, where is the quote "encoded using a different set of coefficients as used by AviSynth's color conversion routines" coming from? Perhaps i wrote that one day, but it is not in the current (or 2007) documentation.

Last edited by Wilbert; 15th August 2015 at 22:52.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote