View Single Post
Old 15th November 2018, 17:14   #28068  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
[Edit] I just looked at the pricing of NVidia cards in the GTX 1060/1070 category... the price is ridiculous, that ain't happening any time soon. I'd rather park the software without UHD support than pay that much and force my user base to do the same.
GTX1050 cards will work and can be had for as low as $160 for a 2GB card.

There are some deals on GTX1060 6gig cards, like BB has an EVGA GTX1060 SSC 6GB card for $280 (sale, regular price has ranged between $340-370 range). But GTX1060 3GB non-OC cards can be as low as $240 regularly.

Its still a lot, if you are otherwise not in need of upgrading, or if these cards aren't as "fast" as your current card for "day to day" work.

BUT you have to keep in mind, which you already alluded to... There is NVENC, QS and even an AMD variant if you decide to look at it... so woudln't BD-RB get more complex to manage? You'd have to build routines for each of the 3 variants, add a method for selecting the method, etc. No to mention debugging... having to be sure the user tells you if they are using NVENC, QS, AMD, or software when it fails... I mean sure you could pick one (that works with what hardware you already have) and add that first... and go from there, but still...

Is that getting beyond the scope of BD-RB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
...I'd prefer to stick with X265, but if I can't find a solution in the near future I may be forced to dump it. Too bad. It's really good software that just seems to be incapable of outputting a UHD-BD compliant stream. I would seem to me that they would make that a priority considering the number of UHD-BDs being produced out there.
Sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on the discussions on this topic... is this only an issue for doing a UHD-BD image/copy/backup? I mean, it doesn't impact Alt-Movie Only to MKV does it?

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 15th November 2018 at 17:17.
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote