View Single Post
Old 1st April 2019, 09:47   #55606  |  Link
Limberjork

Hoping you guys can help me get deinterlacing working better on my setup. I just ripped my Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 1 NTSC DVDs to MKV files (no re-encoding of video or audio) with MakeMKV and I'm trying to play them back with MPC-HC and madVR (using MPC-HC's internal LAV filters). I don't have much experience at all playing back interlaced content - it's 2019, after all - so bear with me.

My first problem is that I can see a lot of combing artifacts in certain spots, typically in frames with motion that come immediately after a cut: Episode 7 01:00.277, Episode 11 00:11.713.

My second problem is that deinterlacing doesn't get activated on 3 out of the 12 episodes according to marVR's OSD. These happen to be the 3 episodes that start with a cold open (straight to the first scene of the episode), rather than the usual intro sequence. If I switch the deinterlacing setting in madVR from "if in doubt, deactivate deinterlacing" to "if in doubt, activate deinterlacing," then deinterlacing is activated on all 12 episodes.

Sample clips: First 15 seconds of episode 1, Clip from episode 7 (I see a lot of combing when the guy lights the lighter)

One last thing that I've noticed is that in every sequence except for the intro sequence, I get a ton of repeated frames. In fact, when I step through the video frame by frame, every frame is repeated once.

LAV Video settings
madVR deinterlacing settings
Limberjork is offline   Reply With Quote