View Single Post
Old 19th December 2013, 00:38   #38  |  Link
manolito

YouTube Downloads

I decided to not do this via PM since I believe this is of general interest. My question is: What is the forum policy regarding downloaded clips from YouTube?

I know that "downloaded" is a buzzword which usually triggers a closing of the thread. But I remember an older post from a mod that since there are legitimate downloads, too, the poster has to explain and make it clear that this particular download was from a legitimate source, so it is not a rule #6 violation.

Now what about downloaded clips from YouTube?

The source is legitimate, they have licensed their content. The clips are not DRMed, no need to break any copy protection. Viewing the clips is certainly legal, what about downloading?

It is clear that Google does not like that users download their stuff, but there are dozens of browser extensions and other tools which make it easy to download it. Is this illegal?

I think that you can compare it to capturing TV broadcasts with a VCR or PVR. The broadcasters do not particularly like it, but it is legal as long as you do not do it for commercial purposes. And so far I have not heard of any lawsuits against providers of YouTube download tools by Google, much less against users of those tools.

So my question again: Can I request help regarding downloaded YouTube clips on this forum?

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by Guest; 19th December 2013 at 14:46.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote