View Single Post
Old 15th September 2017, 16:43   #45627  |  Link
mrmarioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You say you've tried most of that, but I'd like you to reply to each of my suggestions/comments with detailed information, otherwise I don't have sufficient information to help.
Okay. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
There are many possible reasons why this could happen. Here are a couple of questions and comments:

1) When you say "blu-ray player" do you mean a 1080p Blu-Ray player and a 1080p Blu-Ray, or are we talking about UHD Blu-Ray? This is a really important difference, and missing in your post.

It's an Xbox One S (4K player). And I get the same -good- results with the TV's own player.

2) In your blu-ray player, can you choose different output settings, like RGB vs 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 etc? Can you try to see if any of them looks different, maybe nearer to what the PC outputs? If so, that might indicate that your TV might not handle one specific type of input as well as another. Otherwise, if all looks the same, we can probably rule out the TV as the guilty party here.

It has the 'allow HDR and 4K" options ticked, and then colour deph: 10 Bit, color space: standard.

On PC, I've tried all colour options available on NvidiaControl Panel: 12 bit RGB 444, 12 bit ycbycr 422, 420, 8 bit...

3) For a fair test, use the same HDMI port with the identical TV settings for both the blu-ray player and the PC.

I did, I just used the hdmi 1 port. (my tv only supports hdr on one port)

4) In your PC, I (always) strongly recommend to use RGB output with 0-255 (Full) range. Try the madVR "use D3D11 for presentation" option and in the display properties tell madVR that your display supports 10bit. Finally, make sure that in your GPU control panel there are no funny color modifications, skin tone optimizations or other crap enabled.

For my system, it works best if I set the PC to 12 bit RGB 444 (24hz) or Ycbycr 422 16-235 on NCP -and madVR to 0-255 10 bit. Blacks don't look washed out like this, (and use D3D11 for presentation ticked). I also tried LAV filters latest nightly D3D11 decoder. ( I'm clueless about this, I thought I should use CUVID as an nvidia user --anyway made no difference).

5) Have you tried resetting madVR to default settings, just to be safe?

Yes, did that yesterday. I also reinstalled Nvidia drivers just in case...

6) Do you have the OS setting "HDR and Advanced Color" turned on or off? Please make sure it's turned OFF, because it's a really bad option.

Yes, it's off.

7) If all else fails, you could also try to let madVR convert the HDR content to SDR for you (using pixel shader math). It could look better or worse than what the Samsung does internally, when receiving HDR content. You can also try different "display peak nits" values.

Not tried this yet, but I'm not happy about the idea of converting the picture to SDR. :/

Here's a screenshot of a sample of Life Of Pi, with all my mad VR settings.

https://abload.de/img/sinttulo76swp.png

My TV doesn't have a true 10 Bit panel, it has (i think) 8 bit + FRC. Maybe that's why colours are not right? Maybe I should set my display to 8 bit; madVR to 8 bit; disable dithering in madVr. And let the TV do its 8 bit + dithering when it detects the HDR signal? I'll give that a try.

Last edited by mrmarioman; 17th September 2017 at 01:24.
mrmarioman is offline   Reply With Quote