View Single Post
Old 25th January 2016, 11:06   #13825  |  Link
an3k

Thank you very much both of you for your time explaining that stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
More or less, yes.

Lossy DTS (Core) don't have bitdepth, and MediaInfo is wrong when show that info (and others infos).
Jeez, I thought that at least this tool does it right. I used GSpot some years ago and was told it shows wrong information and that I should use MediaInfo instead. Is there a tool that shows the information correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Is a encoder option, but is recommended for 5.1.

For 2.0: 112 Kb/s up to 12.4 KHz, 160 Kb/s up to 15.8 KHz, 192 Kb/s or higer up to 20.3 KHz
Overall bitrate I guess!?!

I found

but to be honest I didn't understood much. So to be on the "save side" (=no frequency limiting) one should use at least 448 kbps for 5.1 or 192 kbps for 2.0?!? For 4.0 do I just have to double the bitrate of 2.0 and for mono just halve it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
In general, without auxiliary specifications, you can use AC3 in VBR mode too (I believe Aften supported that). But there are consumer media specifications (e.g. "DVD Video") which require CBR audio streams. AC3 can, but is not allowed to under certain circumstances.
Good to know VBR is possible. But that would not increase quality but only create smaller files because AC-3 is limited to 640 kbps and even VBR will not exceed this?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
For audio formats with a good "channel coupling" (known as "Mid/Side" encoding for MP3 which supports stereo at most, but it can be handled in a similar way for more channels too), there is a theorem that the bitrate shall be in relation to the square root of the number of full frequency channels to achieve similar quality. It usually works quite well for AC3, comparing a 2.0 bitrate as √2 times a theoretical base mono bitrate with a 5.1 bitrate as √5 times the same theoretical base mono bitrate. Depending on the content.
I believe I think I understood this ... EDIT: After some testing I know I did not. English + mathematical terms aren't my hobby